1. con- "together" + -tinu- + -e.
2. => keep together, uninterrupted.
3. dis- "not" + continue.
- discontinue (v.)
- late 14c., from Old French discontinuer (14c.), from Medieval Latin discontinuare, from dis- "not" (see dis-) + Latin continuare "to continue" (see continue). Related: Discontinued; discontinuity; discontinuous; discontinuation.
- 1. It was decided to discontinue the treatment after three months.
- 2. He asked them to discontinue flights over the island.
- 3. They threatened to discontinue buying it.
- 4. The airline says this route is no longer economic, so they're going to discontinue it.
- 航空公司说这条航线不再赚钱, 因此他们准备关闭.
- 5. Why do you discontinue compiling your dictionary? Don't you think it a pity to give it up when it is nearly completed?
- 为什么你不继续编纂你的词典 呢 ?功亏一篑,你不觉得可惜 吗 ?
[ discontinue 造句 ]