c. 1600, in reference to the mode of ancient Greek music, literally "of Doris," from Greek Doris, district in central Greece, traditionally named for Doros, legendary ancestor of the Dorians, whose name is probably related to doron "gift" (see date (n.1)).
1. He's a real Dorian Gray, apparently untouched by the ageing process.
2. Dorian murmured a graceful compliment and looked round the room.
3. The two men's eyes met. In Dorian's there was infinite pity.
4. Hallward was thunderstruck. He looked at Dorian Gray in absolute amazement.
5. Dorian's whims are laws to everybody, except himself.