TEM8 GRE TOEFL
1、archi- + pelag- + -o.
3、其实，该词的原始含义是指“爱琴海”，该词是意大利语中对爱琴海(Greek: Aigaion pelagos, English: Aegean Sea)名称的误写；由于爱琴海中布满了岛链、岛屿，因此该词的含义后来扩展为任何包含了很多岛屿的海，以及由很多岛屿组成的群岛、列岛。
前缀arch-, 始，主要。词根pelag, 海，见pelagic, 海面的，词源同plan, 平的。指爱琴海，后指爱琴海众多小岛。
- archipelago:  Originally, archipelago was a quite specific term – it was the name of the Aegean Sea, the sea between Greece and Turkey. Derivationally, it is a compound formed in Greek from arkhi- ‘chief’ and pélagos ‘sea’ (source of English pelagic  and probably related to plain, placate, and please). The term ‘chief sea’ identified the Aegean, as contrasted with all the smaller lagoons, lakes, and inlets to which the word pélagos was also applied.
An ‘Englished’ form of the word, Arch-sea, was in use in the 17th century, and in sailors’ jargon it was often abbreviated to Arches: ‘An island called Augusto near Paros, in the Arches’, Sir T Roe, Negotiations 1626. A leading characteristic of the Aegean Sea is of course that it contains a large number of islands, and from the 16th century onwards we see a strong and steady move towards what is now the word’s main meaning, ‘large group of islands’.
The immediate source of the English word was Italian arcipelago, and some etymologists have speculated that rather than coming directly from Greek arkhipélagos, this may have been a sort of folk-etymological resuscitation of it based on a misunderstanding of Greek Aigaion pelagos ‘Aegean Sea’.
- archipelago (n.)
- c. 1500, from Italian arcipelago "the Aegean Sea" (13c.), from Greek arkhipelagos, from arkhi- "chief" (see archon) + pelagos "sea" (see pelagic). The Aegean Sea being full of island chains, the meaning was extended in Italian to "any sea studded with islands." Klein, noting the absence of arkhipelagos in ancient or Medieval Greek (the modern word in Greek is borrowed from Italian) believe it is an Italian mistake for Aigaion pelagos "Aegean Sea" (Medieval Latin Egeopelagus), or influenced by that name.
- 1. And he spent his senility on an archipelago, far away from here.
- 当他年老的时候他住在了一个群岛上, 远离这里.
- 2. The project is planned for Balta, one of the archipelago's main islands.
- 3. The rich life of Svalbard, Norway's Arctic archipelago, faces a creeping thaw.
- 生物资源丰富的斯瓦尔巴德群岛, 挪威的北极群岛, 面临逐渐解冻的危机.
- 4. Koh Larn ( Coral Island ) is the largest of Pattaya's archipelago.
- 琅岛 ( 珊瑚岛 ) 是芭缇雅群岛中最大的一个岛屿.
- 5. A numerical study on the floristics of the Zhoushan Archipelago.
[ archipelago 造句 ]