- vt. 调整，使…适合；校准
- vi. 调整，校准；适应
CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1、ad- "to" + just-.
2、字面含义为：arrange (something) so as to conform with (a standard or another thing). 进而引申为：调整，调节，校正，使适应。
词源略。俗词源：前缀ad-, 去，往。just, 刚好的。
- adjust: see just
- adjust (v.)
- late 14c., ajusten, "to correct, remedy;" reborrowed by c. 1600 in sense "arrange, settle, compose," from Middle French adjuster, Old French ajouter "to join" (12c.), from Late Latin adiuxtare "to bring near," from Latin ad- "to" (see ad-) + iuxta "next," related to iungere "to join" (see jugular).
Influenced by folk etymology derivation from Latin iustus "just, equitable, fair." Meaning "to arrange (something) so as to conform with (a standard or another thing)" is from 1660s. Insurance sense is from 1755. Meaning "to get used to" first recorded 1924. Related: Adjusted; adjusting.
- 1. Adjust the aerial's position and direction for the best reception.
- 2. Adjust the lighting so it is soft and restful.
- 3. We have been preparing our fighters to adjust themselves to civil society.
- 4. He stopped to try to adjust his vision to the faint starlight.
- 5. It was just a question of having the time to re-adjust.
[ adjust 造句 ]