- earth-mother (n.)
- 1870, folkloric spirit of the earth, conceived as sensual, maternal; often a translation of German erdmutter. Earth-goddess is from 1837.
- 1. I was shocked, brought down to earth by this revelation.
- 2. They would move heaven and earth to stop me if they could.
- 3. Weather satellites have observed a ring of volcanic ash girdling the earth.
- 4. The space shuttle Atlantis returned safely to earth today.
- 5. The earth shook and the walls of neighbouring houses fell around them.
[ earth-mother 造句 ]