1650s, "pertaining to fingers," from Latin digitalis, from digitus (see digit). Meaning "using numerical digits" is from 1938, especially of computers after c. 1945; in reference to recording or broadcasting, from 1960. Related: Digitize.
1. Digital priced the new line at less than half the cost of comparable mainframes.
2. The BBC has just successfully demonstrated a new digital radio transmission system.
3. Filmmaking was transformed by digital editing, digital f/x, and digicams.
4. Manufacturers are working on a new generation of cheaper digital radios.
5. The hearing-impaired say digital phones interfere with hearing aids.