美 [,dɛmə'lɪʃən; ,dimə'lɪʃən]
- n. 拆除（等于demolishment）；破坏；毁坏
IELTS GRE TOEFL
- demolition (n.)
- 1540s, from Old French demolition (14c.) "demolition; defeat, rout," from Latin demolitionem (nominative demolitio), noun of action from past participle stem of demoliri (see demolish). Mencken noted demolition engineer for "house-wrecker" by 1936. Demolition derby is recorded from 1956, American English, defined by OED as "a contest in which old cars are battered into one another, the last one running being declared the winner."
- 1. The High Court has granted permission for the demolition work to continue.
- 2. Spillover damage from the building's demolition was confined to some broken glass.
- 3. The church has been threatened with demolition for years.
- 4. They underwent courses in radio communication, demolition, and sabotage.
- 他们接受了无线电通信 、 拆毁和破坏的课程.
- 5. The project required the total demolition of the old bridge.
[ demolition 造句 ]