1. ex- => es- => as- "out" + -tound (ton-) "thunder" + -ing.
2. 这里的 as- "out" 取引申义，表示：离开、脱离正常的状态或情绪或表情。
3. 字面含义：thunder sb out. => leave someone thunderstruck.
4. 或者：out: 出去、离开、远离。=> 不管。=> 听任、让、使…处于(某种状态)(leave)。
- 1. There was an astounding 20% increase in sales.
- 2. The Chairman's remarks were so astounding that the audience listened to him with bated breath.
- 3. The results are quite astounding.
- 4. The conservatism of the literary establishment in this country is astounding.
- 5. This is the most astounding confession I have ever listened to.
[ astounding 造句 ]