- vt. 崇拜；爱慕；喜爱；极喜欢
- vi. 崇拜；爱慕
- n. (Adore)人名；(法)阿多尔
CET6 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研
前缀ad-, 去，往。词根or, 嘴，见orator, 演说家。该词原带有宗教色彩，赞美神，崇拜神。后指爱慕女神。
- adore: see orator
- adore (v.)
- late 14c., aouren, "to worship, pay divine honors to, bow down before," from Old French aorer "to adore, worship, praise" (10c.), from Latin adorare "speak to formally, beseech, ask in prayer," in Late Latin "to worship," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + orare "speak formally, pray" (see orator). Meaning "to honor very highly" is attested from 1590s; weakened sense of "to be very fond of" emerged by 1880s. Related: Adored; adoring.
- 1. I adore good books and the theatre.
- 2. People adore him for his noble character.
- 3. We adore them for their generosity.
- 4. I would adore to settle back homeland.
- 5. You will adore this film.
[ adore 造句 ]