1844, American English, from the name of Jacob Amman, 17c. Swiss Mennonite preacher who founded the sect. Originally spelled Omish, which reflects the pronunciation in Pennsylvania German dialect. As a noun, by 1884.
1. Rarely do the Amish marry outside their sect.
2. Another important Amish belief is that people should not above themselves.
3. These are the Amish, an enduring and endearing people.
4. This item is made here in Lancaster PA by the Amish.
5. Some Amish people have commercialized their way of life.