- n. 障碍；栏；跳栏
- vt. 克服
- vi. 克服；跳过
- n. (Hurdle)人名；(英)赫德尔
CET6+ TEM8 IELTS GRE
Hestia 希腊神话中的灶神,室家之神; hurdle 篱笆; vesta 女灶神; vestibule
门厅; horde 游牧部落; hospitable 好客的; huddle 聚在一起商量; hoard
储藏; hearth 炉边,炉膛,家庭.
(同族字例) heap 堆积; hop 蛇麻草; hip 臀部; hope 希望; hoove
(动物)鼓胀病; hoopla 投套环游戏; hollow 空的; hoop 箍(状物),铁环.
做到这一步,对于 hub 的解释才算是圆满实用的.
1. crate => Latin cratis "wickerwork, lattice, kitchen-rack, hurdle" => grate, grill, grille, hurdle.
2. crate => PIE root *kert- "to turn, entwine, weave, twist together" => hurdle.
4. 跨栏赛跑（hurdle race; hurdles），田径运动的一个项目，比赛者要在途中跨越一些特制的栏架，起源于英国。由牧羊人跨越羊圈栅栏的游戏演变而来。《=== 刘翔。
5. hurdle race n. 障碍竞赛；跳栏赛跑
- hurdle: see hoard
- hurdle (n.)
- Old English hyrdel "frame of intertwined twigs used as a temporary barrier," diminutive of hyrd "door," from Proto-Germanic *hurdiz "wickerwork frame, hurdle" (cognates: Old Saxon hurth "plaiting, netting," Dutch horde "wickerwork," German Hürde "hurdle, fold, pen;" Old Norse hurð, Gothic haurds "door"), from PIE *krtis (cognates: Latin cratis "hurdle, wickerwork," Greek kartalos "a kind of basket," kyrtos "fishing creel"), from root *kert- "to weave, twist together" (cognates: Sanskrit krt "to spin"). Sense of "barrier to jump in a race" is by 1822; figurative sense of "obstacle" is 1924.
- hurdle (v.)
- 1590s, "to build like a hurdle," from hurdle (n.). Sense of "to jump over" dates from 1880 (implied in hurdling). Related: Hurdled; hurdling. Hurdles as a type of race (originally horse race) with hurdles as obstacles is attested by 1836 (hurdle-race is from 1822).
- 1. Crystal Spirit unseated his rider in the Berkshire Hurdle at Newbury.
- 2. His horse fell at the final hurdle.
- 3. Two-thirds of candidates fail at this first hurdle and are packed off home.
- 4. She learnt to hurdle by leaping over bales of hay on her family's farm.
- 5. With her speed and agility, Cage cut out all her competitors in the hurdle race.
- 凯奇在跨栏赛跑中速度快、动作敏捷, 击败了所有其他选手.
[ hurdle 造句 ]