- fire-engine (n.)
- 1680s, "engine designed to throw a stream of water through a hose onto a fire for the purpose of extinguishing it," from fire (n.) + engine (n.). Also an early name for a steam engine (1722).
- 1. He said they should turn their fire on the Conservative Party instead.
- 2. The council recently drew fire for its intervention in the dispute.
- 3. If something's a sure-fire hit then Radio One will play it.
- 4. Legs of pork were cured and smoked over the fire.
- 5. Don't leave a child alone in a room with an open fire.
[ fire-engine 造句 ]