1590s, "liveliness, wit, vivacity," from Middle French esprit "spirit, mind," from Old French espirit "spirit, soul" (12c.), from Latin spiritus "spirit" (see spirit (n.)). For initial e-, see e-.
Esprit de corps, recorded from 1780 in English, preserves the usual French sense. French also has the excellent phrase esprit de l'escalier, literally "spirit of the staircase," defined in OED as, "a retort or remark that occurs to a person after the opportunity to make it has passed." It also has espirit fort, a "strong-minded" person, one independent of current prejudices, especially a freethinker in religion.
1. These estimators include the signal subspace methods, ESPRIT and WSF. They possess good statistical performance.
子空间类方法 、 esprit和WSF是 几种典型的高分辨方位估计方法, 它们具有良好的统计性能.
2. As a bel esprit he despised pedantry whether in a man or in a bluestocking.
3. Volkswagen is there with a presentation that exudes passion and esprit.
4. We need a strong leader to keep our esprit de corps intact.
5. Works dependably , sincere, can withstand the tremendous pressure, has esprit de corps.