1590s, "action of using ladders to scale the walls of a fortified place," from Middle French escalade (16c.) "an assault with ladders on a fortification," from Italian scalata, fem. past participle of scalare "to climb by means of a ladder," from scala "ladder," related to Latin scandere "to climb" (see scan). For initial e-, see e-. Also in early use in English in Spanish form escalada, later corrupted to escalado. As the name of a brand of luxury SUV by Cadillac, from 1999.
1. Why don't you bring me a Escalade or something to get back in my good graces?
你为什么不给我找个台阶下看看能不能原谅你们 呢 ?
2. They had to escalade canyons to reach their destination.
3. I am very tempted to trade in my old Escalade for a Navigator.
4. Since Tiger drives an Escalade, can he blame the accident on his caddy?
当伍兹把车开上人行道时, 他能把事故归咎到球童身上 吗 ?
5. Agent Hartmann gave a quick nod, pulled out the Escalade keys and headed for the door.