1986 in reference to companies shedding jobs; earlier (1975) in reference to U.S. automakers building smaller cars and trucks (supposedly a coinage at General Motors), from down (adv.) + size (v.). Related: Downsized; downsizing.
1. Sales have decreased so much that they need to downsize.
2. He will downsize the executive board of the three divisions.
3. The company chose to downsize and more fully utilize the remaining workers.
4. And as businesses decentralize and downsize, information systems follow suit.
5. Free - market reforms have moved governments everywhere to downsize, deregulate, and privatize.