c. 1810, "pertaining to documents," from document + -ary. Meaning "factual, meant to provide a record of something" is from 1926, from French film documentarie (1924). The noun (short for documentary film) is attested from 1935. Docudrama is a 1961 coinage.
1. The documentary left me in a state of shock.
2. She spent two years in South Florida researching and filming her documentary.
3. She also narrated a documentary about the Kirov Ballet School.
4. Tonight PBS will air a documentary called "Democracy In Action".
5. The documentary premiered at the Jerusalem Film Festival.