de-, 向下，离开。-spond, 承诺，词源同spouse, respond. 原义为承诺离开，放弃，引申词义沮丧的。比较abjure, forswear.
- despondent (adj.)
- 1690s, from Latin despondentem (nominative despondens), present participle of despondere (see despondence). Related: Despondently (1670s).
- 1. She was becoming increasingly despondent about the way things were going.
- 2. He was up for a time and then, without warning, despondent again.
- 他一度兴高采烈, 但忽然又情绪低落下来.
- 3. Patients often feel despondent.
- 4. I feel despondent when my work is rejected.
- 5. His despondent reverie was suddenly interrupted by someone calling his name.
[ despondent 造句 ]