1929, from desk + top. As an adjective meaning "suitable for use on a desktop," it is recorded from 1958 (in reference to computers). As a shortening of desktop computer, recorded from 1983. Desktop publishing recorded from 1984.
1. Users can download their material to a desktop PC.
2. When launched, the Macintosh was the smallest desktop computer ever produced.
3. My computer is a desktop computer of excellent quality.
4. Desktop shortcuts save in the desktop folder, which complies with the 8.3 naming convention.
5. All you have to do is right-click on the desktop and select New Folder.