TEM8 IELTS GRE
de-, 向下，离开。-lug, 冲洗，喷流，词源同lava, dilute.
- deluge: see lavatory
- deluge (n.)
- late 14c., from Old French deluge (12c.), earlier deluve, from Latin diluvium "flood, inundation," from diluere "wash away," from dis- "away" (see dis-) + -luere, comb. form of lavere "to wash" (see lave).
- deluge (v.)
- 1590s; see deluge (n.). Related: Deluged; deluging.
- 1. A deluge of manuscripts began to arrive in the post.
- 2. This has brought a deluge of criticism.
- 3. This little stream can become a deluge when it rains heavily.
- 4. About a dozen homes were damaged in the deluge.
- 5. You could see him now, in this deluge of distraction.
[ deluge 造句 ]