CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1. 蛇果：原名叫"Red delicious apple"（可口的红苹果）香港人翻译为红地厘蛇果，简约为地厘蛇果，其实就是对delicious的音译。到了内地又进一步简称为“蛇果”了，原产于美国的加利福尼亚州，又名红元帅，为红香蕉（元帅）的浓条红型芽变，是世界主要栽培品种之一。
de-, 向下，强调。-lic, 抓住，诱惑，词源同lace, elicit. 引申义抓住胃的，美味的。
- delicious:  The underlying meaning of delicious is ‘tempting, luring one aside from the straight and narrow’. It comes via Old French delicious from late Latin dēliciōsus, a derivative of Latin dēlicia ‘delight’. This in turn was formed from dēlicere ‘entice away’, a compound verb made from the prefix dē- ‘away’ and lacere ‘lure, deceive’ (source also of English elicit and related to lace, lasso, and possibly latch).
Latin dēlectāre, a derivative of dēlicere denoting repeated action, produced Old French delit, source of English delight , and Italian dilettante, literally ‘lover’, borrowed by English in the 18th century in the positive sense ‘someone who takes delight in fine art’.
=> delight, dilettante, elicit, lace, lasso
- delicious (adj.)
- c. 1300 (implied in deliciously), from Old French delicios (Modern French délicieux), from Late Latin deliciosus "delicious, delicate," from Latin delicia (plural deliciae) "a delight, allurement, charm," from delicere "to allure, entice," from de- "away" (see de-) + lacere "lure, deceive" (related to laqueus "noose, snare;" see lace). As a name of a type of apple, attested from 1903, first grown by Jesse Hiatt of Iowa, U.S.A. Colloquial shortening delish is attested from 1920.
- 1. This delicious variation on an omelette is quick and easy to prepare.
- 2. Traditional Spanish food is delicious and its specialities are worth searching out.
- 3. Chick peas have a distinctive, delicious and nutty flavour.
- 4. Glasses of Madeira wine were brought to us. We declared it delicious.
- 5. The smells of delicious foods floated all around him.
[ delicious 造句 ]