- vt. 使退化；恶化
- vi. 退化；堕落
- adj. 退化的；堕落的
- n. 堕落的人
CET6 TEM8 IELTS 考 研
de-, 向下，离开。-gen, 出生，词源同gene, generate. 原义为偏离祖训，有损祖先名声，后引申为堕落，恶化。
- degenerate (adj.)
- late 15c., from Latin degeneratus, past participle of degenerare "to be inferior to one's ancestors, to become unlike one's race or kind, fall from ancestral quality," used of physical as well as moral qualities, from phrase de genere, from de + genus (genitive generis) "birth, descent" (see genus). The noun is from 1550s.
- degenerate (v.)
- 1540s, from Latin degeneratus, past participle of degenerare "fall from ancestral quality" (see degenerate (adj.)). Figurative sense of "to fall off, decline" was in Latin. Related: Degenerated; degenerating.
- 1. Will too much freedom make them degenerate?
- 太多的自由会令他们堕落 吗 ?
- 2. The newly emerging forces are bound to defeat what is corrupt and degenerate.
- 3. Inactivity can make your joints stiff, and the bones may begin to degenerate.
- 4. From then on the whole tone of the campaign began to degenerate.
- 5. We must not allow our necessary scepticism to degenerate into cynicism.
[ degenerate 造句 ]