- vt. 阻碍，妨害；使受苦
- n. 拖累，累赘；妨害
- n. (Cumber)人名；(英)坎伯
1. com- => cum- + ber- (bear => ber-, 即 ber- 是由 bear 缩略而来) => cumber.
2. 字面含义为：carry together, bear together.
4. => 使负荷过重，拖累；阻碍，妨害；使烦恼，折磨。
- cumber (v.)
- c. 1300, "to overthrow, destroy; to be overwhelmed; to harass," apparently from French, but Old French combrer "to seize hold of, lay hands on, grab, snatch, take by force, rape," has not quite the same sense. Perhaps a shortened formation from a verb akin to Middle English acombren "obstructing progress," from Old French encombrer, from combre "obstruction, barrier," from Vulgar Latin *comboros "that which is carried together," perhaps from a Gaulish word.
The likely roots are PIE *kom (see com-) + *bher- (1) "to bear" (see infer). Weakened sense of "to hamper, to obstruct or weigh down" is late 14c. Related: Cumbered; cumbering.
- 1. We shall not cumber our thought with his reproaches.
- 2. Even an experienced cumber will get into trouble.
[ cumber 造句 ]