CET6 TEM4 CET4 IELTS 考 研
词源同coffee. -teria, 地名后缀。原指兼卖咖啡的小餐馆。
- cafeteria: see coffee
- cafeteria (n.)
- 1839, American English, from Mexican Spanish cafeteria "coffee store," from café "coffee" (see coffee) + Spanish -tería "place where something is done" (usually business). The ending came to be understood popularly as meaning "help-yourself" (as though café + -teria) and was extended to new formation with that sense from c. 1923.
- 1. People are sprawled on makeshift beds in the cafeteria.
- 2. Does the college cafeteria provide a healthful diet?
- 3. In the cafeteria we serve ourselves.
- 4. I went and had an overpriced cup of coffee in the hotel cafeteria.
- 5. I noticed a lone man in the cafeteria swabbing the floor as I passed.