1. awl <===> awn.
3. 区分 owl 与 awl : 猫头鹰的头是圆的所以首字母是O, 锥子的顶部是尖的所以首字母是A, 你看大写字母A本身就像一个锥子.
4. awn: n可以看成两个l连在一起，所以表示像多个锥子、很多锥子一样的东西 =》芒。
- awl: [OE] The Old English form, æl, came from a hypothetical Germanic base *āl-, which had a probable relative in Sanskrit ārā. The compound bradawl was formed in the 19th century using the term brad ‘thin flat nail’, which came originally from Old Norse broddr ‘spike’. Awls, tools for making holes to take nails, are part of the shoemaker’s traditional set of implements: hence the apparently quite recent, early 20thcentury rhyming slang cobbler’s awls (cobblers for short) for ‘balls’.
- awl (n.)
- Old English æl "awl, piercer," from Proto-Germanic *ælo (cognates: Old Norse alr, Dutch aal, Middle Low German al, Old High German äla, German Ahle), which is of uncertain origin. Earliest references are to piercing of the ears, though later it was associated with shoemakers. Through misdivision, frequently written 15c.-17c. as nawl (for an awl; see N).
- 1. Six awl make a shoemaker.
- 2. AWL algorithm is also superior to other LRU improved algorithms.
- AWL算法 与其它LRU改进算法相比也具有很大的优势.
- 3. It was fun to play with an awl.
来自英汉非文学 - 科学史
- 4. " But of course, " the captain said. " To begin with, I use an awl. "
- “ 好吧, ” 上尉说道, “ 首先, 我用的工具是钻子. ”
来自英汉非文学 - 科学史
- 5. An awl or pick for extracting letters from set type.
[ awl 造句 ]