1800, from Greek autonomos "having one's own laws," of animals, "feeding or ranging at will," from autos "self" (see auto-) + nomos "law" (see numismatics). Compare privilege. Used mostly in metaphysics and politics; see autonomic.
1. Although officially a dependent territory the island is effectively autonomous.
2. Each of the U.S. states has an autonomous government.
3. Is man really free? Can man live independently, autonomous from God?
究竟人“自由” 吗 ?人可离开上帝自主生活(autonomous) 吗 ?
4. The majority of Scots favour an autonomous Scotland involving devolution or complete independence.
5. This is a matter that comes within the jurisdiction of the autonomous region.