CET6+ TEM8 GRE
来自PIE*火。-oc, 同词根op, 眼睛，见optic, 光学的。指发狂，暴行，眼睛射出火。
- atrocity (n.)
- 1530s, from Middle French atrocité or directly from Latin atrocitatem (nominative atrocitas) "cruelty, fierceness, harshness," noun of quality from atrox "fierce, cruel, frightful," from PIE *atro-ek-, from root *ater- "fire" (see atrium) + *okw- "see" (see eye (n.)); thus "of fiery or threatening appearance." The meaning "an atrocious deed" is from 1793.
- 1. These people are guilty of acts of great atrocity.
- 2. He is as cool as a cucumber upon every act of atrocity.
- 3. Her dress is an atrocity.
- 4. The atrocity caused widespread indignation.
- 5. The killing was cold-blooded, and those who committed this atrocity should be tried and punished.
[ atrocity 造句 ]