1630s (athletical is from 1590s), "pertaining to an athlete," from Latin athleticus, from Greek athletikos, from athletes (see athlete). Meaning "strong of body; vigorous; lusty; robust" [Johnson, who spells it athletick] is from 1650s.
1. Xandra is an athletic 36-year-old with a 21-year-old's body.
2. They have been given college scholarships purely on athletic ability.
3. The National Collegiate Athletic Association introduced drug testing in the mid-1980s.
4. He looked physically very powerful, athletic in a compact way.
5. Athletic Bilbao agreed to play a friendly at Real Sociedad.