- adj. 惊人的；令人惊讶的
- v. 使…惊讶；使…诧异（astonish的ing形式）
1. ex- => es- => as- "out" + ton- "thunder" + -ish + -ing.
2. 这里的 as- "out" 取引申义，表示：离开、脱离正常的状态或情绪或表情。
3. 字面含义：thunder sb out. => leave someone thunderstruck.
4. 或者：out: 出去、离开、远离。=> 不管。=> 听任、让、使…处于(某种状态)(leave)。
- 1. He can perform an astonishing variety of acts, including mime and juggling.
- 2. I find life more charming and more astonishing than I'd ever dreamed.
- 3. Interviews with politicians were juxtaposed with news items of quite astonishing triviality.
- 4. He became famous as an inventor of astonishing visual and aural effects.
- 5. His ability to absorb bits of disconnected information was astonishing.
[ astonishing 造句 ]