前缀as- 同ad-. 词根suav, 甜，同sweet, persuade.
- assuage: see persuade
- assuage (v.)
- c. 1300, from Anglo-French assuager, Old French assoagier "soften, moderate, alleviate, calm, soothe, pacify," from Vulgar Latin *adsuaviare, from Latin ad- "to" (see ad-) + suavis "sweet, agreeable" (see sweet (adj.)). For sound development in French, compare deluge from Latin diluvium, abridge from abbreviare. Related: Assuaged; assuaging.
- 1. The medicine is used to assuage pain.
- 2. Talking to her helped to assuage my guilt.
- 3. To assuage his wife's grief, he took her on a tour of Europe.
- 4. She was just trying to assuage her guilt by playing the devoted mother.
- 5. " I was only made to assuage my parents'reproductive vanity,'she says bitterly.
- “ 我来到这个世上只是为了满足我父母的生育虚荣心. ” 她忿忿地说.
[ assuage 造句 ]