1. as- "to" + sidu- (sid- => sidu-) + -ous.
2. => "sit down to," thus "constantly occupied" at one's work.
3. as，s 双写，一再的坐 = hard, arduous, diligent.
前缀as- 同ad-. 词根sid, 坐，同sess, -ss, 过去分词格。坐得住冷板凳的，勤勉的。
- assiduous: see assess
- assiduous (adj.)
- 1530s, from Latin assiduus "attending; continually present, incessant; busy; constant," from assidere "to sit down to" (thus "be constantly occupied" at one's work); from ad "to" (see ad-) + sedere "to sit" (see sedentary). The word acquired a taint of "servility" in 18c. Related: Assiduously; assiduousness.
- 1. Podulski had been assiduous in learning his adopted language.
- 2. The book was the result of ten years'assiduous research.
- 3. His spirit of assiduous study is worthy of emulation.
- 4. He is assiduous over his visitor.
- 5. Want to know how to spell assiduous?
- 想知道如何拼写assiduous 吗 ?
[ assiduous 造句 ]