CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1、archi- + tect- "builder, carpenter".
2、字面含义：master builder, director of works.
前缀arch-, 始，主要，专家。词根tect, 编织，建筑，同textile, 纺织品。
- architect:  Etymologically, an architect is a ‘master builder’. The word comes, via French architecte, Italian architetto, and Latin architectus, from Greek arkhitéktōn, a compound formed from the prefix arkhi- ‘leading’ and téktōn ‘builder’ (source of English tectonic and related, via Greek tékhnē, to English technical).
- architect (n.)
- 1550s, from Middle French architecte, from Latin architectus, from Greek arkhitekton "master builder, director of works," from arkhi- "chief" (see archon) + tekton "builder, carpenter" (see texture). An Old English word for it was heahcræftiga "high-crafter."
- 1. Today's complex buildings require close teamwork between the architect and the builders.
- 2. Ricardo Bofill, the Catalan architect, has designed the revamped airport.
- 3. Call in an architect or surveyor to oversee the work.
- 4. An art historian and collector, he was also a practising architect.
- 5. The architect stepped back to admire his handiwork.
[ architect 造句 ]