1660s, "pertaining to the 'Revelation of St. John' in the New Testament," from Greek apokalyptikos, from apokalyptein
(see apocalypse). Meaning "pertaining to the imminent end of the world" evolved by 1880s.
1. an apocalyptic view of history
2. Although ending the race to drink up before closing time has not moderated drinking habits, neither have apocalyptic predictions come to pass.
3. Parts of the ocean there look just absolutely apocalyptic.
4. He attempts to explore dismal landscapes , where apocalyptic marches echo and thunder.
5. It is an exciting, well - paced action - thriller with apocalyptic, and adventure story elements.