genus of mosquitoes, Modern Latin, coined 1818 by German entomologist Johann Wilhelm Meigen (1764-1845) from Greek anopheles "useless, hurtful, harmful," from an-, privative prefix, (see an- (1)) + ophelos "use, help, advantage" (see Ophelia). So called because it conveys malaria.
1. Anopheles mosquitos transmit malaria.
2. Objective: Probing into the blood - sucking habit of Anopheles anthropophagus and Anopheles sinensis.
3. Methods: Observation on the population and ecology of Anopheles.
4. A NEW SPECIES OF ANOPHELES ( DIPTERA: CULICIDAE )
按蚊属一新种描记 ( 双翅目: 蚊科 )
5. People get malaria from Anopheles mosquitoes that themselves are infected with a protozoan parasite called Plasmodium.