- n. [药] 止痛剂；起安慰作用的事物
- adj. 止痛的；安慰人的；平淡无奇的
- anodyne (adj.)
- 1540s, from Medieval Latin anodynus "pain-removing, allaying pain," from Latin anodynus "painless," from Greek anodynos "free from pain," from an- "without" (see an- (1)) + odyne "pain," a word perhaps from PIE root *ed- "to eat" (source of Lithuanian edžioti "to devour, bite," edžiotis "to suffer pain;" see eat). In old slang, frequently a euphemism for "death;" as in anodyne necklace "hangman's noose."
- 1. Their quarterly meetings were anodyne affairs.
- 2. This is daytime television at its most anodyne.
- 3. It was their delight, their folly, their anodyne, their intellectual stimulant.
- 这是他们的人生乐趣, 他们的一时荒唐, 他们的止痛药, 他们的脑力刺激剂.
- 4. Friendship is not only the condiment but also the anodyne of life.
- 5. Although rejected in favour of an anodyne text, this idea was significant.
- 虽然这个想法最终被拒绝,并代之以缓和矛盾的折衷版本, 但其意味非浅.
[ anodyne 造句 ]