- vt. 修改；改善，改进
- vi. 改正，改善；改过自新
- n. (Amend)人名；(德、英)阿门德
CET6 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL
前缀a-同ex-。词根mend,虚假，缺陷，见mendacious, 虚假的。单词mend, 修理，该词缩写。
- amend: see mend
- amend (v.)
- early 13c., "to free from faults, rectify," from Old French amender (12c.), from Latin emendare "to correct, free from fault," from ex- "out" (see ex-) + menda "fault, blemish," from PIE *mend- "physical defect, fault" (cognates: Sanskrit minda "physical blemish," Old Irish mennar "stain, blemish," Welsh mann "sign, mark").
Supplanted in senses of "repair, cure" by its shortened offspring mend (v.). Meaning "to add to legislation" (ostensibly to correct or improve it) is recorded from 1777. Related: Amended; amending.
- 1. The president agreed to amend the constitution and allow multi-party elections.
- 2. We would rather withdraw the draft resolution than amend it.
- 3. The teacher advised him to amend his way of living.
- 4. You must amend your pronunciation.
- 5. To forestall is better than to amend.
[ amend 造句 ]