前缀a- 同ad-. 词根malg, 软，融合，同mel, 软，见melt, 融化。原指炼金术里水银与其它金属的融合。
- amalgam (n.)
- c. 1400, "blend of mercury with another metal; soft mass formed by chemical manipulation," from Old French amalgame or directly from Medieval Latin amalgama, "alloy of mercury (especially with gold or silver)," an alchemists' word, perhaps an alteration of Latin malagma "poultice, plaster," probably from Arabic al-malgham "an emollient poultice or unguent for sores (especially warm)" [Francis Johnson, "A Dictionary of Persian, Arabic, and English"], perhaps from Greek malagma "softening substance," from malassein "to soften," from malakos "soft."
- 1. The film script is an amalgam of all three books.
- 2. To counter this myth, we explained that we're really an amalgam of little guys.
- 为了打破这个神话, 我们解释说,我们确实是由一群小小的老百姓所组成的混合体.
- 3. In other words, American literature is to our eyes a curious amalgam of familiar and strange.
- 换句话说,我们认为, 美国文学把我们所熟悉的和陌生的东西奇妙地结合起来了.
- 4. Many disadvantages of amalgam can be overcome by resin composite.
- 5. The new religion is an amalgam of supersitious beliefs and modern science.
[ amalgam 造句 ]