CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 CET6
来自阿拉伯语。al, 阿拉伯定冠词。-cohol, 同kohl, 眼影粉末，由矿物质提炼而来，喻指精华。转指酒，由谷物提炼的精华。
- alcohol:  Originally, alcohol was a powder, not a liquid. The word comes from Arabic alkuhul, literally ‘the kohl’ – that is, powdered antimony used as a cosmetic for darkening the eyelids. This was borrowed into English via French or medieval Latin, and retained this ‘powder’ meaning for some centuries (for instance, ‘They put between the eyelids and the eye a certain black powder made of a mineral brought from the kingdom of Fez, and called Alcohol’, George Sandys, Travels 1615).
But a change was rapidly taking place: from specifically ‘antimony’, alcohol came to mean any substance obtained by sublimation, and hence ‘quintessence’. Alcohol of wine was thus the ‘quintessence of wine’, produced by distillation or rectification, and by the middle of the 18th century alcohol was being used on its own for the intoxicating ingredient in strong liquor.
The more precise chemical definition (a compound with a hydroxyl group bound to a hydrocarbon group) developed in the 19th century.
- alcohol (n.)
- 1540s (early 15c. as alcofol), "fine powder produced by sublimation," from Medieval Latin alcohol "powdered ore of antimony," from Arabic al-kuhul "kohl," the fine metallic powder used to darken the eyelids, from kahala "to stain, paint." The al- is the Arabic definite article, "the."
"Powdered cosmetic" was the earliest sense in English; definition broadened 1670s to "any sublimated substance, the pure spirit of anything," including liquids. Modern sense of "intoxicating ingredient in strong liquor" is first recorded 1753, short for alcohol of wine, which was extended to "the intoxicating element in fermented liquors." In organic chemistry, the word was extended 1850 to the class of compounds of the same type as this.
- 1. In 1985, he began to show signs of alcohol and drug dependency.
- 2. Many motor accidents are the result of unthinkingly mixing speed and alcohol.
- 3. He was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.
- 4. He was too high on drugs and alcohol to remember them.
- 5. Our spirits rallied as the bitter-sweet alcohol worked its magic.
[ alcohol 造句 ]