CET6+ TEM8 TOEFL
1、ad- "to" + vers- + -ity.
2、含义：turned toward, fronting, facing, turned against. => hostile, adverse, unfavorable.
- adversity (n.)
- c. 1200, aduersite "misfortune, hardship, difficulty," from Old French aversité "adversity, calamity, misfortune; hostility, wickedness, malice" (Modern French adversité), from Latin adversitatem (nominative adversitas) "opposition," from adversus (see adverse).
- 1. In prosperity our friends know us; in adversity we know our friends.--John Churton
- 2. He showed courage in adversity.
- 3. courage in the face of adversity
- 4. In time of adversity, those who do not desert you are real friends.
- 5. When faced with adversity she was never tempted to give up.
[ adversity 造句 ]