CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 CET6
该词ac-为古英语介词on, 俗化为前缀ac-, 去往。knowledge同know, 知道，了解。
- acknowledge: see know
- acknowledge (v.)
- 1550s, a blend of Middle English aknow (from Old English oncnawan "understand," from on + cnawan "recognize;" see know) and Middle English knowlechen "admit, acknowledge" (c. 1200; see knowledge). In the merger, a parasitic -c- slipped in, so that while the kn- became a simple "n" sound (as in know), the -c- stepped up to preserve, in this word, the ancient "kn-" sound. Related: Acknowledged; acknowledging.
- 1. You have to acknowledge that we live in a racist society.
- 2. Doran stuck his head out of the window to acknowledge the cheering.
- 3. Some of the clergy refused to acknowledge the new king'slegitimacy.
- 4. Gradually he began to acknowledge his feelings of envy towards his mother.
- 5. Social workers went to great pains to acknowledge men's domestic rights.
[ acknowledge 造句 ]