TEM4 IELTS GRE
1. abridge 【a + bridge,建一座桥跨越障碍为缩短】缩短
- abridge: see brief
- abridge (v.)
- c. 1300, abreggen, "to make shorter, to condense," from Old French abregier "abridge, diminish, shorten," from Late Latin abbreviare "make short" (see abbreviate). The sound development from Latin -vi- to French -dg- is paralleled in assuage (from assuavidare) and deluge (from diluvium). Related: Abridged; abridging.
- 1. He decided to abridge his stay here after he received a letter from home.
- 2. The new law might abridge our freedom of expression.
- 3. Thus he may abridge his travel , with much profit.
- 4. They are going to abridge that dictionary.
- 5. Will you abridge this book?
- 你会将这本书进行删减 吗 ?
[ abridge 造句 ]