- prep. 超过；在……上面；在……之上
- adv. 在上面；在上文
- adj. 上文的
- n. 上文
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
1. over => above.
2. ab- + over => ov- + -e => above.
- above: [OE] As in the case of about, the a- in above represents on and the -b- element represents by; above (Old English abufan) is a compound based on Old English ufan. This meant both ‘on top’ and ‘down from above’; it is related to over, and is probably descended from a hypothetical West Germanic ancestor *ufana, whose uf- element eventually became modern English up. So in a sense, above means ‘on by up’ or ‘on by over’.
=> by, on, up
- above (adv.)
- Old English abufan, earlier onbufan, from on (see on; also see a- (1)) + bufan "over," compound of be "by" (see by) + ufan "over/high," from Proto-Germanic *ufan- (cognates: Old Saxon, Old High German oban, German oben), from PIE root *upo (see up (adv.)). Meaning "in addition" first corded 1590s.
- 1. That big high-rise above us is where Brian lives.
- 2. Then there was a woman's voice, rising shrilly above the barking.
- 3. He had to have one leg amputated above the knee.
- 4. There was a drift of smoke above the trees.
- 5. The hills rise green and sheer above the broad river.
[ above 造句 ]