1660s, "first, earliest," especially in reference to inhabitants of lands colonized by Europeans, from aborigines (see aborigine) + -al (1); specific Australian sense is from 1820. The noun is attested from 1767. Related: Aboriginally.
1. the issue of Aboriginal land rights
2. They managed to wipe out the entire aboriginal population.
3. The lndians are the aboriginal Americans.
4. They will campaign for the return of traditional lands and respect for aboriginal rights and customs.
5. Aboriginal art has finally gained recognition and broken away from being labelled as "primitive" or "exotic"