European nation, from Medieval Latin Marchia austriaca "eastern borderland." German Österreich is "eastern kingdom," from Old High German ostar "eastern" (see east) + reich (see Reichstag). So called for being on the eastern edge of Charlemagne's empire.
1. She was born in Austria on March 6, 1920.
2. He won the decider which completed England's 3-2 victory over Austria.
3. In 1882 Germany, Austria, and Italy formed the Triple Alliance.
4. Our reporter spent the night crossing the border from Austria into Slovenia.
5. The most important and underrated Alpine wine country is Austria.